Saturday, June 14, 2008

Now What??

Oh, my! The weather here in Utah went from 60 to 90 overnight. I have never really had experience with a swamp cooler before and that is what I have now. My neighbors have been very kind in trying to teach me how to use it. Today when I got home from work, and the cooler had been on all day, it was still very hot inside. I had some new filters to be put in and Matt, my neighbor, was very kind and offered to get on the roof and replace them for me. Well, if it was only that easy.... First I learned that I didn't understand the way the two knobs for the hose worked. Then, after Matt had changed the filters and was now down trying to explain this to me, I felt some sprinkles on my head. The sky was blue as blue can be, and I was a little perplexed by the water I was feeling. When I looked up, I had a new fountain shooting off of my roof down into my back yard. Matt, very kindly, climbed back up to find that there was a leak in the hose that runs to the swamp cooler. After getting some duct tape from another neighbor who was out working in her yard, I attempted to throw it up to Matt on the top of my 2 story house so he could try to stop the leak. Yeah, those of you who know my throwing skills are already saying "oh, no" Yeah, I threw it right into the window of my guest bedroom and broke the window into pieces. Upon my second attempt, I threw it over my head somehow and it landed back in the neighbor's back yard behind me. Finally on the third attempt, it managed to make it up without hitting anything. I think that Matt, and all the other neigbors in my ward, are happy that I work on Wednesday nights and can't play on the ward softball team.

After all of that, the duct tape didn't work so I went to Wal-Mart to get a new hose. I had to go to the store already, so it wasn't a big deal. So, after returning a few items at Lowes, I went next door to wal-mart. Guess what, they were out of the swamp cooler hoses, which meant that I was going to have to go back to Lowes. I got all the other things I needed and found a line. They were all very long. After standing there for about 10 minutes I realized I was in a 20 item or less line. I counted and had 22 things so I figured no big deal. Well, apparently it was a big deal. The cashier made a rude comment about it being a 10 item line and I informed her nicely that it was actually a 20 item lane and that I was only over by a small amount. She then proceeded to count the items. I am usually one to stay pretty even tempered, but after waiting in line forever, I couldn't keep my mouth shut and said "you're not serioulsy going to make a big deal out of this are you." To which she replied, "I'm not making a big deal out of this mam." Those were the last words spoken. Of course I thought of many more things to say, but used better judgement and took my things and left and went back to the very friendly cashier at Lowes. Hopefully the excitiement for the day is OVER!!

5 comments:

Jess said...

Oh, Nanon, I'm so sorry! These swamp coolers are such a pain. We didn't even turn ours on last summer because we were so afraid of it. Trust me, though, once you get it figured out, it's very nice to have!

TheFunYam said...

o dear, my friend, i'm glad you (and your neighbors) survived!! i can just picture you knocking out the top window. teehee! and i love the new blog design, very chic.

The Nelson Family Smorgasbord said...

Nanon, what a nightmare!!! Believe me, we are going through the same deal with our swamp cooler. Jordan has spent probably 5 solid hours working on it and FINALLY called his buddy who is an electrician. Hallelujah!!!

Brenna said...

Nanon, I know that your post was probably not posted to be funny - but oh my gosh did it make me laugh!!! I loved picturing you through duct tape... breaking the window?!! hehe
Love it.

Sorry it was a rough day - but thank you for reminding me why your so great. :)

Oh, and the ward called, they said the moved softball to wednesdays on purpose (to avoid you)!

thebellcrew said...

Wow that wal-mart worker is just a little on edge(they must not pay her enough). Yay it must be blissful living in a cool home!